Thursday, September 15, 2011

goldsworthy and stuff

okay since some people posted their thoughts about goldsworthy, i should too

my very very first impression when mrs tan said "you are looking at his artwork" when watching the video was EH? WHERE? WHAT?

i love how his work interacts, communicates and blends in with nature
his medium is nature
his tools are nature
the colours of his works are nature
the environment his works are in is nature

quoting him
"I enjoy the freedom of just using my hands and "found" tools--a sharp stone, the quill of a feather, thorns. I take the opportunities each day offers: if it is snowing, I work with snow, at leaf-fall it will be with leaves; a blown-over tree becomes a source of twigs and branches. I stop at a place or pick up a material because I feel that there is something to be discovered. Here is where I can learn. "
i love how even his tools are nature
using a piece of hard rock as hammer
using his teeth to chip the icicle
using thorns as nails
it really requires a lot of creativity and also shows that the artist is very observant and sensitive to his surroundings
his mediums are also really cool: rocks, twigs, sheep wool , ice, leaves
like what he said " i need land" it seems that he is dependent on nature and wants to be close to nature, to feel nature, and to experience it.
he also said something like " art to me is a form of nourishment"
and that he hates travelling cause it makes him feel dislocated, uprooted and distant
it gives me this feeling that he feels very attached to land in a way that he may die or perish without land and he feels lost if he is not on land

he talks a lot about energy. i think he was talking about the energy of nature. the power of nature.but dont really get that part about energy in him and energy in land.

another quote
"Nature is in a state of change and that change is the key to understanding. I want my art to be sensitive and alert to changes in material, season and weather. Each work grows, stays, decays. Process and decay are implicit. Transience in my work reflects what I find in nature."
i think it takes a lot of courage to do his kind of art
i mean i'll feel very broken seeing my artwork being destroyed after putting so much hardwork and effort
but he accepts the fact and keeps trying
i feel that he enjoys how nature and its energy changes and alters his art
and how his art reflects the energy of nature
how this energy is so strong that is washes away his art
he challenges this energy and yet fails
and from this failing experience and seeing his artwork being destroyed by nature
he gets to understand and feel the power of nature more and more

okay im talking a bit cheem

anyway i think his ICE works are simply AWESOME





beautiful right?
i guess i like them more as i never had the change to play with ice
as in not the one from our fridge but those created by nature

thats all :D

No comments:

Post a Comment